Passports & Visa InformationGet Your Passport Ready!A passport is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer. A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave most foreign countries. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue or verify United States passports.

New Passport Requirements


Implemented on January 23, 2007, ALL PERSONS traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean region are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

JANUARY 31, 2008
U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document, or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children at that time.

At a later date, to be determined, the departments will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have either a U.S. passport; a U.S. passport card; a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI; a valid Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or a valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders.

Click here to get complete details on New Requirements for Travelers including a list of “other accepted documents” from U.S Department of State.

Note: This does not affect travel between the U.S. and its territories. U.S. citizens traveling between the U.S. and Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa will continue to be able to use established forms of ID.

First time passport applicants need to apply in person. Note – all persons must have their own passports, including infants. Click on the link above and read through thoroughly. We want you to be able to go on your trip, so allow quite a bit of time to get things in order. Usually, it takes about six weeks, but it would be wise to apply six months ahead of time so that everything is in order for your planned trip.

Useful links:
How to Get a Passport
Where to Apply in the U.S.
Where to Apply Abroad
How to Apply for a Passport Renewal
Correcting or Changing Information in Your Passport

Current travel warnings

Travel warnings are issued as necessary and unless otherwise specified, and are in effect until the State Department issues either a new warning or a notice that the current warning will expire.